So you have a lot of work to do, so you are sitting down all the time, drinking coffee and scrunching your spine into the chair. Meanwhile all that housework and gardening and DIY are piling up and making your life feel chaotic and indulgent. So what do you do?
I have adopted a simple but effective system of 45 minutes on / 15 minutes off.
But when I say ‘off’, what I actually mean is doing something else. So I start on the hour, write for 45 minutes, and then I get up and mow a bit of the lawn, put on a batch of washing, do the washing-up, tidy my bedroom, recycle the beer bottles, etc. On the hour, I sit back down and do some more writing.
What have I observed?
- If I do 3 or 4 rounds a day, I can make huge progress with the writing, but also get quite a lot of stuff done;
- It is surprising what can be achieved in 1 minute;
- 50 minutes is too long; 45 minutes is just right;
- I get more done doing this than I do if I have a whole day ‘free’, because it makes me do it and do it quickly;
- I realise that there are no minutes in the day for simply fiddling about with Facebook;
- I don’t get stiff;
- I can’t wait to get back to the writing.
What can you do in 1 minute?